Way into German Higher Education for Thai applicants

If you want to study at a German university, you will need a “Hochschulzugangsberechtigung” – or “university entrance qualification”. This is a school-leaving certificate which qualifies you for university study. See below, how to acquire this qualification.

1.) Direct Access/International school certificates

If you gained your school graduation at an international school or in another country, the conditions have to be checked individually. Direct admission can be possible with the following school graduations: IB-Diploma (International Baccalaureate) and International Advanced Level (A-Level). For further information and more graduation types, the DAAD entrance qualification database provides a first overview. More specific data about other countries and certificates can be obtained at Anabin. The website, however, is only available in German. Our Team in the Information Centre offers free consultation about your individual school certificate. You can also contact the DAAD office in the country where you got your school certificate.

The DAAD entrance qualification database

More foreign certificates on anabin.de (only in German)

Criteria for the recognition of IB Diploma

Criteria for the recognition of Cambridge A-Levels

Criteria for the recognition of High school diploma

2.) Thai School Certificate and ’Studienkolleg’

The Thai school graduations of ‘Mathayom 6’ and ‘Vocational School Certificate‘ (Por Wor Chor, Por Wor Sor)’ are not accepted as a German ‘university entrance qualification’. A direct admission to German universities is not possible.

However, you can gain this admission by visiting the so called ‘Studienkolleg’. This is a one-year termed foundation course. You have to pass an entrance examination to participate in the foundation course. Good German language skills are a prerequisite (B1-B2 level of the European Framework of Reference for Languages).

At the conclusion of the foundation course, you will be tested in several subjects which are relevant to the subject of study you intend to pursue. This test is called the “university entrance assessment examination” (“Feststellungsprüfung”). One part of the examination is a language test. Most universities do not charge a tuition fee for foundation courses. However, as a course participant, you are required to pay the semester contribution of the university.

There are also a few private foundation courses that require less German language skill or even sometimes no knowledge of German at all. Mostly, you won’t gain a nationwide ‘university entrance qualification’ but only for a single university or programme. The private foundation courses charge higher tuition fees.

All public ‘Studienkollegs’ in Germany

Private Foundation Courses in the DAAD database

3.) Two years of studying in Thailand

You also fulfill the conditions to apply for study in Germany, if you have already successfully studied for two years at a Thai university.

4.) Bachelor and Master

Thai university graduations, such as Bachelor and Master are generally accepted in Germany. With your university degree, you fulfill the criteria to apply for consecutive study programmes, such as Master and PhD.

5.) Requirements of the university and the study programme

If you fulfil these formal conditions to study in Germany, you must also consider the particular requirements of your chosen study programme. These requirements and the application procedure can vary from university to university, and even from degree programme to degree programme. For further information, you can always contact the International Office of your chosen university. To increase your chances for a successful admission, you may take the Test for Academic Studies (TestAS) or visit preparatory classes.

More information on TestAS

All international programmes at German universities in the DAAD database

All study programmes in Germany by the ‘Higher Education Compass’