The first German lessons in Thailand took place in 1920 at Chulalongkorn University, which was founded in 1917. The rebuilding of the German department as well as the development of the first curriculum began with the first DAAD-lecturer Dr. Georg Heuser in 1957. Five years later (1962/63) students completed the B.A.- programme in German studies for the first time. In 1974 the first M.A.-programme followed and since 2006 a Ph.D. in German studies is possible. Chulalongkorn University is therefore the only institution of higher education in Southeast Asia that offers a Ph.D.- programme in German studies.
At the moment the German department consists of 9 staff members (including 3 native speakers), who teach more than eighty students enrolled for German studies plus many more who take additional German classes. Students can choose from a broad variety of courses including language courses, different lierary genres and electoral subjects like German for Tourism, German Children and Youth Literature or Business German.
Contact person: Dr. phil. Thanakon Kaewwipat
Address: 254 Phayathai Rd. Wangmai Patumwan
Visitors: Chulalongkorn University, Faculty of Arts, Borommaratchakumari Building, 9th floor
- Magazine “Bangkoker Allgemeine” 2018